What is sleep?
Sleep is an important part of life routine. Sleep is essential for physical and mental health. If one does not have a good sleep, its effects begin to appear. Most people at some point in life are deprived of good sleep even if it is for a short period of time, and it occurs when there is a prevalent disturbing or emotional state.
Types of sleep
There are two major types of sleep:
- Rapid eye movement sleep
This is one fifth of our sleep duration. It occurs several times throughout the night. During this time, our brain is busy because we are dreaming, our eyes move fast right and left, and our muscles loosen up.
- Non rapid eye movement sleep
The brain is silent at this time, but during this time, hormones are added to the blood and our body is in some movement, but the eyes remain calm. The transition from the first type to the second type takes place about five times during the night and more dreams are seen in the morning. There are even short awakening breaks in one night which can be for two minutes after every two hours, but these breaks are remembered only when we are worried, there is noise, or someone is snoring near us.
How much sleep do we need?
The need for sleep depends on age.
- Very young children sleep about 15 to 17 hours a day.
- A slightly older child needs nine to ten hours of sleep.
- Adults need seven to eight hours of sleep, but some people also live by sleeping for only three hours.
- Older people need as much sleep as adults, but they have less deep sleep. It is easier to wake them up from sleep. They also have less dreams
Can medicine help?
Some people use sleeping pills but it has now become clear that they do not work for a long time, and then the dose has to be increased. People who are used to taking them should gradually reduce them on the advice of a doctor. Sleeping pills should not be used for more than two weeks.
What things should be avoided?
Caffeine stays in the body even after several hours of drinking tea or coffee; so do not drink tea or coffee at all after the evening.
The following are some simple tips which are called sleep hygiene:
- Make sure that your bed is comfortable, neither too hot nor too cold and nor at a noisy place.
- The bed should not be so hard that it puts pressure on your hips and shoulders, nor too soft that the body sinks into it.
- Light exercise and walking are beneficial.
- Try to sleep when you get tired and set a time for sleeping.
- Eat dinner between Maghrib and Isha, do not eat too late.
- If you want to have a hot drink, use milk or a herbal drink instead of tea or coffee.
- If your eyes open at night and you cannot fall back to sleep, do not remain lying down on the bed, rather get up and start doing something that relaxes you, such as reading, watching Madani channel,listening to Na’ts or engage in Zikr, Salat upon the prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم, etc.; you will soon fall asleep.
- If you have something occupying your mind and you cannot solve it at that time, write it down on a piece of paper and say to yourself that you will find its solution tomorrow.
- If you do not sleep properly at any night, do not sleep during the day, because due to this, you will not be able to sleep properly again the next night.
- Make it a habit to get up early in the morning. Wake up at the same time every day even if you are tired.
Delicious sleep-inducing drink
- Mix around 6 gram fennel in half a litre water and boil it on the stove. When around 125 gram water is left, add 250 gram of cow milk, around 12 gram of cow ghee, and sugar as required and use it.اِنْ شَــآءَالـلّٰـه, you will start feeling sleepy.
- Cut a medium-sized onion and mix it with yogurt (in appropriate amount) and eat it before going to bed.اِنْ شَــآءَالـلّٰـه, you will fall asleep.
Note: Use this treatment only on the advice of your doctor.
Treatment of falling asleep through breathing
- Lie down on a mat, couch or bed, straighten both arms and keep them by your sides. Now, take a deep breath slowly for 6 seconds, hold the air in for three seconds and then slowly release it through your mouth for 6 seconds. After that, lie down on your left side and repeat this process a few times.اِنْ شَــآءَالـلّٰـه you will fall asleep.